Well, it’s 3 a.m. local time, and I woke up about an hour or two ago, after sleeping about 10 hours. Jet leg, much? Erin and I both thought we were doing pretty well in terms of acclimating ourselves to the time change, but seeing as how it’s the middle of the night here and she and I are both up and gchatting, I guess not.

In the time we were awake during the day on Wednesday, we walked around our neighborhood and got lunch. I’m sure the neighborhood has a name, I just don’t know it yet. We managed not to get lost, which was awesome. We walked through a sidestreet that had a lot of little stalls and vendors, and that was really cool. There is an abundance of fresh fruit and vegetables here, and I’m looking forward to using them, once I get a hotplate in my room (if that’s not a throwback to my time in Prague, I don’t know what is). Things of note:
-The Fanta here is just like American Fanta, which is a disappointment. Call me a Fanta elitist, but I only drink the European kind.
-On a related note, they have do pineapple Fanta here, which I’m definitely willing to try, only because I’ve never seen it anywhere before.
-They recycle here! Despite not seeing many trashcans along the main streets and sidewalks here, recycling bins are very common. Take heed, America.
-Even though we were walking around mid-day, there were a ton of kids out as well. Aren’t they supposed to be in school?

Erin and I ended up going to a sandwich shop for lunch. I know, you’re disappointed we didn’t do something “more Korean.” Whatever. I was wearing flipflops and Erin was wearing flats, and I’m pretty sure neither of us was wearing socks, which meant we couldn’t go into a real Korean-style restaurant. You know, the kind where you sit on the floor on lowered tables. It will happen eventually, I promise. So the sandwich place was really good. We each got teriyaki chicken sandwiches, which ended up being double-decker, with a layer of egg in it. Weird, but good. Really good considering it was the only thing I ate yesterday. I’m telling you, this Korea diet-a ton of water, next to no food-is going to be the next big thing.

After lunch, we walked back to campus. I helped Erin set up her Internet (they didn’t call me Techie all summer for nothing!), skimmed through her Lonely Planet book and kept repeating, “Holy *insert random expletive here*, we’re in Korea!”

Then I went home for a nap. Woke up at 5 p.m. to a message from Erin saying she was exhausted and passing out, and I can’t say I was bummed. I went right back to sleep.

Which brings me to now. Currently (and yes, I know that DBK style says that you should never use “currently”), it is 3:36 a.m. and I’m wide awake. Orientation starts in about five hours. Maybe I’ll do some more unpacking?